Creating an Effective Team
When you hear the words “team building”, you conjure up images of sweaty human knots, uninteresting self-assessments, and the salty shores of Catalina Island. However, team building can actually be fun and inspiring when the proper materials meet the right attitude. Everyone on a team has an important part to play. There are five steps to creating an effective team:
- Clarify the purpose
- Why are you working together?
- Define the output from the team
- What are you creating/producing together?
- Clarify roles and responsibilities
- Who is doing what by when?
- Agree on ground rules
- What are the expectations of the team? (meetings, communication, etc.)
- Ensure everyone feels connected/valued
- What skills do you each of you bring to the team?
If you’re interested in applications for these 5 steps, watch the TEDtalk below for an activity to jump boost your team building efforts.